[katello-devel] Menu usability needs more work

Kyle Baker kybaker at redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 18:18:06 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On 03/05/2013 11:37 AM, Eric D Helms wrote:
> >  From an implementation perspective, this makes sense and can be a
> > longer term goal.
> >
> > I have talked to Kyle about the header and navigation in general
> > and
> > there is a design plan in the works, however, the delivery time
> > will be
> > longer than we want I believe.  That being said, I have heard lots
> > of
> > different mentions of behaviors and requests for features but not
> > as
> > much concrete "here is what the menu is trying to provide for the
> > user".

This design plan is related to branding and 'shell' design visuals. This is unrelated to Katello specific content such as navigation or the org switcher.

> > There appears to be:
> >
> > * Site user - user that has access to cross-organization entities
> > * Organization user - user that has access to organization specific
> > entities
> > * Site-Organization user - user that has access to organization
> > specific
> > entities and cross-organization entities
> >
> > * Organization Mode - when a user is managing organization specific
> > entities
> > * Site mode - when a user is managing cross-organization entities
> >

> > The question I have is -- is managing cross-organization entities a
> > fundamentally different activity than managing organization
> > specific
> > entities?
> >
> > I think the above question drives the overall design, as it
> > dictates the
> > context that users need to be placed in.  For example, if the
> > answer is
> > 'yes', then entering Organization Mode should feel like entering a
> > different part of the application.  If the answer is 'no', then
> > entering
> > Organization Mode should feel like just another set of screens
> > within
> > the application that removes the organization "context".
> >
> > -Eric
> >

> I believe that site items are different than organization items. I
> assume site items to be:
>
> - Users
> - Roles
> - The org definitions.
> - Pulp Nodes (I know tihs is a point of disagreement)
> - Certificates

This is where the confusion occurs. We have chose to display all of the content on the page within the context of an org. If we are displaying content(users, roles, org lists) which are cross org, we can not do it under the heading of the org context as we were. I think the real issue with the last org changes that were merged is discover-ability and accessibility of content.

I will take it as an action item to address these issues in with new mockups.