[katello-devel] Cross fedora version upgrades

Justin Sherrill jsherril at redhat.com
Fri Mar 15 22:33:48 UTC 2013

Hi All,

With the upcoming Katello 1.3 release we are only support RHEL 6 &
Fedora 18, which means this is the first katello release that does not
continue support across a single Fedora version (Previously fedora
16).   Katello 1.2 was released with upgrade instructions, but they did
not cover upgrading from Fedora 16 to Fedora 17 (so i am going to assume
it was not supported or tested).  So keep in mind today that we really
do not have an official policy on upgrading across fedora versions.

Due to the volatile nature of Fedora upgrades (especially going from
fedora 16 to fedora 18 which uses two different upgrade mechanisms), I
am proposing to only support upgrades to from Katello 1.2 to 1.3 on RHEL 6.

What are people's thoughts on that?

Katello 1.3 is somewhat special in that katello 1.2 and 1.3 do not share
a fedora version in common, but going forward what are thoughts around
either:

a) Not supporting upgrades on fedora at all, only supported on RHEL 6
and CentOS 6.
b) Not supporting upgrades from/to different versions of fedora (i.e.
Katello 1.X to 1.Y is supported on Fedora N, but not from N to N+1)
c) Only supporting upgrades from/to different versions of fedora via
backup/import of data and certs.

Keep in mind that no matter what we choose, we can always re-evaluate
our policy due to user requests.  To me testing two additional upgrade
scenarios is not worth the time unless people actually use these upgrade
paths.

My Vote is for a)  (and here's why).  If a user is using katello and
wanting to upgrade from one version to another across many months, they
are likely to want long term stability.  Upgrading your operating system
to new major versions ever 6-12 months does not give you long term
stability.  Most users that are interested in running a katello server
in production will not use Fedora simply due to the quick release cycle,
they will instead use RHEL or CentOS. which is where I think we need to
target our resources.  So my vote would be to:

- Only support upgrades on RHEL and CentOS
- Support CentOS with each release and make sure it works (There are
reports that it does not work currently)
- Harden our backup/restore guide and utilities

Thoughts?

-Justin