[katello-devel] Navigation, Organization Switcher, and Utilities Design Enhancements

Eric D Helms ericdhelms at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 15:28:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Mike McCune <mmccune at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/15/2013 12:17 PM, Kyle Baker wrote:
>
>> The design rational as well as high fidelity mock-ups are available on
>> the Katello wiki - https://fedorahosted.org/**katello/wiki/Navigation%**
>> 20Enhancements<https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/Navigation%20Enhancements>
>>

> thanks for the fresh perspective on Katello's nav, some comments:
>
> * We lose the ability to see where you are in the 2nd level nav now, so if
> you are in 'Content' you have no idea where within Content that you are.
>  How it is now:
>
> http://mmccune.fedorapeople.**org/scratch/katello-nav1.png<http://mmccune.fedorapeople.org/scratch/katello-nav1.png>
>
> but with your redesign, as with Foreman you lose your 2nd level nav when
> you are within any given page.  I think the 2nd level nav is valuable and
> prefer we don't go back to a nav structure that doesn't indicate where you
> are within the site.
>
> * This doesn't address one of the main issues we had with the Settings
> (site wide) pages:
>
> You don't have any context in the nav when you are viewing a Settings
> page.  The nav remains un-highlighted.  The current setup we have with the
> strange "Back" button does try to address this, although in a very
> ineffective way, you do know *where* you are within the settings pages.
>  Perhaps I'm getting too hung up on this issue and all we ever really need
> to indicate in the navigation is where you are only at the top level (1st
> level nav highlighting only)...

Looking back at this high fidelity mocks, there appear to be a few states
of the nav missing that were in some initial wireframes.  For example, when
on the settings page , that menu item would be highlighted just like the
rest.  There was an idea of doing the same style sub-nav we have now but
anchored underneath the header.  As well as pop-up notifications becoming a
similarly anchored entity that appear below the header.  The questions I
think becomes:

- are we just stacking too much in the header at that point?
- is there a simpler way to reflect where you are currently? Maybe
indicating within the active tab the sub-tab.
- most applications I can think of that display your current sub-navigation
position use a left hand menu, should we think about that as an addition?

> * It looks like you took Foreman's navigation style and applied it to
> Katello, negating Alchemy, which Foreman just worked to integrate into
> their UI?

I can at least speak to this point in so much that some of the changes here
reflect a number of conversations and design discussions that we have been
working towards in Alchemy.  The priority always got pushed back by other
work, but the slimmer, more reactive header has been a goal and whatever
the final work presented here would be translated over to Alchemy.