[katello-devel] Commit Messages

Petr Chalupa pchalupa at redhat.com
Wed May 15 08:58:31 UTC 2013

My 2cents:

I would have hard limit at 80 characters, "74 characters or so" seems
vague to me. I would use same limit for summary.
  * just one limit
  * sometimes is hard to squeeze summary into 80chars it will be even
harder to 50chars.

We should have a test in CI to test that commit-messages are ok.

I don't like the component usage for stories. When people are working on
same thing, there are often small inconsistencies. The component name
won't be unique for a story over time. It does not reference the  story
in any way.

I would omit component name in summary. Alternative is to use following
alias:

logpr = !sh -c 'git log --reverse --grep=\"Merge pull request\" -n 1
--ancestry-path master ^$1 $@' -

to find in which pull-request was a given commit merged, e.g.

git logpr 4b6d8f9 --oneline
d2a35bc Merge pull request #2258 from daviddavis/temp_1368456830

so 4b6d8f9 is part of #2258 pull-request, and we can see the whole work
done there.

Petr