Another twist - Re: kickstart on boot cd?

Regarding booting, either CD or floppy, has anyone managed to boot using
either a CD or USB floppy device? The farthest I have gotten with 2.2.18
kernel using 2.4 USB back ports is the second stage boot loader which falls
on its' face because it can mount the kernel on the root device (being the
usb device) because it doesn't seem to understand what one of these USB
devices should look like.

-Noah

on 1/11/01 10:23 AM, Erik Troan at ewt redhat com wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Alvin Cabrera wrote:
>
>> is it possible to have the ks.cfg on a bootable cd so it would automatically
>> be read?  i was thinking of possibly using this method to do a large scale
>> canned installed without relying on user input or network support.  the
>> floppy isn't an option since the systems won't have one.  any ideas on how
>> to proceed to combine a floppy boot disk and the first rh7.0 cd?  thanks in
>> advance.
>
> It got easier in 7.0 then the other responder knows :-)
>
> Put it on the CDROM, and use "ks=cdrom:/path/to/file/on/cd". If the file
> is foo.bar at the root of the cd, you'd use ks=cdrom:/foo.bar.
>
> The main Red Hat CD is already bootable on any system that supports bootable
> CDROMs. You can automate the kickstart by adding the argument to the file
> /images/boot.img on the CD (which is the floppy image the system boots
> from).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Erik

--> -