root pw and shadow passwords

When kickstarting, I noticed that if a password is specified, it is
placed into /etc/passwd.  However, if auth --useshadow is also used, the
system uses /etc/shadow but the root password was never moved into the
shadow file; this leaves the system with no root password!  I have tried
to change the order of the commands in the kickstart file, but with no
luck.  Has anyone had any experience with this?
Thanks for any help.

-John Baranski