Follow-up: Problems with kickstart install over FTP

Hit there,

Yesterday I wrote that my kickstart FTP install would generate an "attempt to access beyond end of device" error... Well, I fixed it. It had nothing to do with partition schemes being wrong or stuff like that though.

The solution was as follows:

  1. download the updated "bootnet.img" file from Red Hat FTP site.
  2. download the "update-disk-20020117.img" file from Red Hat FTP site.
  3. Do a "dd if=bootnet.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k" to make the new bootnet disk.
  4. Do a "mkdir /mnt/lbd" to make a temporary mount point...
  5. Do a "mount -o loop update-disk-20020117.img /mnt/lbd" this mounts the update disk image on /mnt/lbd
  6. Do a "mkdir RHupdates" (!!!!) In your FTP / or NFS installation directory (where the "RedHat" directory resides)
  7. Do a "cp /mnt/lbd/* <leading path>/RHupdates/" to copy the contents of the mounted update disk image file to the RHupdate directory.
  8. Now boot your system - it will automatically use the files contained in the RHupdate directory. (that is a new version of Anaconda etc.)

Sincerely,

Martijn Tigchelaar.