What is the chroot environment?

This may be a silly question, I've only been working with Linux for about 3
months now, so please forgive me if this is not an appropriate question.

There is no mention of the --nochroot switch in Martin Hamilton's RedHat
Linux KickStart How to.

Red Hat's customization guide briefly mentions this but does not really
explain why I need to set this switch.

My scripts seem to run without --nochroot, why would I need to use this?