Re: Confusion adding modules to bootnet.img

Rebecca R Hepper seagate com wrote:
I am using RedHat 7.1.  I am trying to add a module to the bootnet.img.
When I get modules.cgz from the initrd.img, I get a directory called
2.4.2-2BOOT which contains a bunch of modules.  This directory is just the
kernel version, right?   So does that mean the version of vmlinuz on the
floppy is 2.4.2-2BOOT?  I also have a modules.cgz that contains my new
module.  Do I grab my new module from the 2.4.2-2BOOT directory or the one
in the 2.4.2-2 directory?  What is the difference between the 2.4.2-2BOOT
and the 2.4.2.-2 kernel?  I'm so confused!!!

Thanks!
Rebecca

The 2.4.2-2BOOT kernel is the kernel that is used for the boot disks/CD. It is a stripped-down kernel that does not contain all of the modules that a regular Red Hat kernel does (as you may have already noticed). You can install the kernel-2.4.2-2BOOT from the installation disks to see what is inside.

Forrest