shadow passwords not working with 7.2 kickstart

Hi,

I've checked the archives; so I think this is a fair question:

if I use: auth --enablemd5 --useshadow in a 7.2 kickstart the system does
NOT use shadow passwords until I run pwconv

I realize there are different commands that should bring about the same
result via kickstart (but non are working), i.e.:

authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5
auth --enableshadow --enablemd5
auth --enablemd5 --useshadow

In looking at the anaconda source all translate to the same variables being
set properly; so these _should_ just work... but like I said they aren't.

has anyone else seen this?  Any suggestions?

Mike