Upgrades

Let's say I want to create an upgrade Kickstart.  I have many different
RH platforms I want to upgrade (7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3).  With each of these
different platforms, some of the rpms are named the same major name
like:

php-ldap

But the version numbers differ.

For example...the current php-ldap for RH 7.3 works just great, so with
the kickstart, I wouldn't really need to do any upgrading.  However with
7.2 I need to upgrade the rpms to a newer version.

Can I only do this by making an upgrade CD that would upgrade all the
machines to the newest 7.3 rpms or can I somehow say "When its 7.2 use
this set of rpms, and when it's 7.3 use this other set of rpms"?

I guess I could write a script to do that...seems kinda kludgy though.
Is that my only way to do this?

Thanks Mike