autoupdate and anaconda

It would seem there could be a way to use the code already created by
the anaconda package for a commandline rpm install to include
dependecies.

For example, when I use the install CD's and do an upgrade instead of an
install, I can select (using the flat view in the gui) one rpm and then
it will figure out the dependecies.

Can't we use this code from the commandline somehow??

Mike