splash screen during bootup

Hi,

this is a little off topic (but hopefully not too much :-)). I would like to set up splash screen during bootup rather than seeing the kernel boot and init.d service startup messages. I had thought of using an alternate virtual terminal, but wasn't sure where to go after that. Has anyone done this as part of a standard install or can point me some references on how to go about this.

cheers,

Michael

--
Michael O'Sullivan <mos i3sp com>
"A good man always knows his limitations" - HC