Re: RAID10 and Kickstart

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:48:38AM -0700, Aaron M Morrison wrote:
: hmmmm
: I assume you want to do this w/ Software raid?
: Last time I set up anything w/ software raid it DID NOT support RAID 10
: although that could have certainly changed by now.
: Also, it forced you to run either raid 1 or 5 for / and /boot

Yeah, as far as I could tell, there was no way, kickstart or
otherwise, to install a system on to a RAID10 array.  The problem
is, I have two controllers with 8 120GB drives each, and the only
configs that make sense are a stripe of mirrors between the two
controllers (/boot would be its on RAID1 array with a small
partition from the first drive on each controller) or a RAID5 of
all the drives (again, /boot on its own small RAID1).

The former can't be done in kickstart, although I can setup a large
RAID10 data partition during the %post run.  The latter is great,
except with these controllers, I have a problem with corruption
when the RAID5 array drops a bad drive.

Short answer: no.

* Philip Molter
* Texas.Net Internet