Kickstart Configuration Managers

Adam T. Gautier adam_gautier at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 17:08:56 UTC 2004

> Don't you think that their reasons for not standardizing completely
> is what gives each distro it's uniqueness, it's branding? I mean,
> if Redhat would supply *exactly* the same functionality as
> Debian, what reason would there be for anybody to purchase
> an RHN entitlement for example?

I think that difference is the spice of life, take for example Suse's
superb Yast Configuration System, which IMHO is far superior to the
RedHat Config utilities.  The differences between distros is needed if
not just for the basic contribution the differences make to the
promotion of innovation.  But, why do the major distros have minor
differences in the installation on Apache?  I do not think that the
major distro's will converge into one, but I think that we can all agree
that we don't want Linux do degenerate into the incompatable Unix*s of
the past.

Anyway, this is off topic for this list.  Does anyone have any
suggestiuons about what they would like to see in standard web-based ks
config database?