Problem with 'comps' package

Paul Pianta pantz at lqt.ca
Wed Apr 14 14:10:05 UTC 2004

Sergei Mikhailov wrote:

>Hi,
>I am trying to do a kickstart install over http. In
>the %packages section, I use a list of all packages
>on the system, instead of using package groups
>(starting with @). The list was generated by running
>`rpm -qa` and then the version and release numbers
>were stripped off. One of the packages in the list
>is "comps" However, the installer complains that it
>cannot find "comps" once kickstart is running. Any
>ideas on how to resolve this would be appreciated.
>
>In the repository that is available through http, I
>have Febora/base/comps.rpm. I also compied over
>comps.rpm into the RPMS directory, so in there I have:
>comps-1-0.20031103.i386.rpm
>comps-extras-9.0.3-2.noarch.rpm
>comps.rpm
>

>One more though. Looking at the apache logs, here
>are the request that the installer makes.
>/kickstart/Fedora/base/updates.img HTTP/1.0" 404
>/kickstart/disc1/Fedora/base/updates.img HTTP/1.0" 404
>/kickstart/Fedora/base/product.img HTTP/1.0" 404
>/kickstart/disc1/Fedora/base/product.img HTTP/1.0" 404
>/kickstart/Fedora/base/netstg2.img HTTP/1.0" 200
>/kickstart/Fedora/base/hdlist HTTP/1.0" 200
>/kickstart/Fedora/base/comps.xml HTTP/1.0" 200
>
>Looks like it first requested things that were not
>in the repository, but it continue nevertheless.
>Also, it never really probed for all the available
>rpms, so it must have made the decision based on
>comps.xml and  the comps package is not there. Can
>comps.xml be edited somehow.

hey sergei

check out this site for editing your comps.xml file ...
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/anaconda-installer/comps.html

If you edit the comps.xml file to contain only your packages (ie. your
rpm -qa output) then you will not need to list *all* of your packages in
the kickstart file. You can just list the groups that you have defined
in your custom comps.xml. Another advantage is you won't have to worry
about the comps rpm. Don't include it in your comps.xml and as long as
you leave the comps.rpm where it is on the cd (not in the RPM directory)
- it will be installed automagically (ie. I have no idea how comps.rpm
works but it always gets installed for me!)

hth

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!