Fedora Core 2 Test 2 kickstart problems

Martin Robb MartinRobb at ieee.org
Tue Apr 20 19:25:01 UTC 2004

I have been using kickstart for some time to build selinux installs on a
RHL7.1 base, and am trying to leapfrog forward to  FC2 test 2, since
selinux is being integrated onto that distribution.  I am currently
working with a minimal ks.cfg file, generated by the configurator.  I am
appending it to the bottom of this email.

When I try to install with:
   linux ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg
I get a "No driver found" window with the message "Unable to find any
devices of the type needed for this installation type."

I am fairly certain that anaconda is finding my ks.cfg file, because if
I give it a bogus path, such as:
   linux ks=cdrom:/foo.bar
I get an Error window with the message "Cannot find kickstart file on
CDROM."

To test whether the problem is with the way I built my install CD, I
have also copied the ks.cfg to a diskette and booted from the FC2 test 2
disk 1 with the command:
   linux ks=floppy:/ks.cfg
I get identical results, i.e. the "No driver found" window.

Has anyone successfully used kickstart with Fedora Core 2?  Can you give
me any clues as to what's wrong?

BTW, if anyone else is working with Fedora Core 2 I've noticed a couple
of other nits that are worth passing along:
- the disk 1 ISO image for test 2 is not bootable.  Technically, when I
tested with the standard install CDs, I initially booted with the FC2
test 1 disk 1 and then swapped to FC2 test 2.
- The current anaconda genhdlist program wants to write to RedHat/base
rather than Fedora/base.  I've been getting around this by symbolically
linking Fedora to RedHat before calling genhdlist, then removing the
link before creating the ISO file.
- It appears to me that we will need an "selinux" option similar to the
"firewall" option in the ks.cfg file, with options to disable, warn or
enable.

Regards,
Martin Robb
MartinRobb at ieee.org