Fedora Core 2 Test 2 kickstart problems

Taylor, ForrestX forrestx.taylor at intel.com
Tue Apr 20 20:10:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 12:25, Martin Robb wrote:
> I have been using kickstart for some time to build selinux installs on a
> RHL7.1 base, and am trying to leapfrog forward to  FC2 test 2, since
> selinux is being integrated onto that distribution.  I am currently
> working with a minimal ks.cfg file, generated by the configurator.  I am
> appending it to the bottom of this email.
>
> When I try to install with:
>    linux ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg
> I get a "No driver found" window with the message "Unable to find any
> devices of the type needed for this installation type."

This looks like it is telling you that it cannot find the media for the
installation.

> I am fairly certain that anaconda is finding my ks.cfg file, because if
> I give it a bogus path, such as:
>    linux ks=cdrom:/foo.bar
> I get an Error window with the message "Cannot find kickstart file on
> CDROM."
>
> Has anyone successfully used kickstart with Fedora Core 2?  Can you give
> me any clues as to what's wrong?
>
> BTW, if anyone else is working with Fedora Core 2 I've noticed a couple
> of other nits that are worth passing along:
> - the disk 1 ISO image for test 2 is not bootable.  Technically, when I
> tested with the standard install CDs, I initially booted with the FC2
> test 1 disk 1 and then swapped to FC2 test 2.

This has been discussed many times on the fedora-list and the
fedora-test-list.  I haven't had a problem yet booting from test2, but
you are certainly not alone.  I have successfully used kickstart, but I
don't have the non-booting CD-ROM problem, so that may be the
difference.

> - The current anaconda genhdlist program wants to write to RedHat/base
> rather than Fedora/base.  I've been getting around this by symbolically
> linking Fedora to RedHat before calling genhdlist, then removing the
> link before creating the ISO file.

Use --productpath Fedora (or patch anaconda).

> - It appears to me that we will need an "selinux" option similar to the
> "firewall" option in the ks.cfg file, with options to disable, warn or
> enable.

Agreed.  I thought I filed a bugzilla report, but I cannot find it.
Test3 should be out soon, so I'll put this in bugzilla if it is not in
test3.

Forrest