Kickstart using USB Flash Drive

Paul Pianta pantz at lqt.ca
Wed Apr 28 20:37:43 UTC 2004

Rebecca.R.Hepper at seagate.com wrote:

>Unfortunately, I need more modules than will fit in the bootdisk.img file.
>I didn't try your exact steps, Jason, but I have my own set of instructions
>that are quite similar.  If I copy in all the modules I need, I fail in the
>last step when moving the initrd.img back to the bootdisk.  Is there a way
>to increase whatever limits the size in this step?

If your usb drive is bigger than a floppy (of course it is) then you
should be able to create an empty "floppy" image that is much bigger
than a regular one, and then put all of your stuff in that - I'm
guessing ...

I don't know the exact parameters to pass to 'dd' but it would be
something like this:

dd if=/dev/zero of=bigFloppy.img bs=1k count=3000
mkfs -t ext2 -F bigFloppy.img

Then you can loop mount your bigFloppy.img and fill it with your goodies.

This is all hypothetical and I have never tried it - just making some
suggestions ...

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!