Kickstart using USB Flash Drive

Rebecca.R.Hepper at seagate.com Rebecca.R.Hepper at seagate.com
Thu Apr 29 14:05:00 UTC 2004

Wow!  This is great!  It worked perfectly for me.

When I used 'mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/(device)' to format the flash drive, I also
had problems so I used your alternative formatting instructions.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Samuel Flory          |
|         |           <sflory at rackable.com> |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           kickstart-list-bounces|
|         |           @redhat.com           |
|         |           No Phone Info         |
|         |           Available             |
|         |                                 |
|         |           04/28/2004 07:15 PM   |
|         |           Please respond to     |
|         |           Discussion list about |
|         |           Kickstart             |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->
  |       To:       Discussion list about Kickstart <kickstart-list at redhat.com>                                                  |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: Kickstart using USB Flash Drive                                                                          |

Rebecca.R.Hepper at seagate.com wrote:
> I am using RH 9.  If I do a 'dd' to copy the bootdisk.img to my USB flash
> drive, I can kickstart a system successfully.  I want to kickstart
> additional systems that require modules not available in the bootdisk.img
> although they are available in the drvnet.img.  Is there a way to get
both
> the bootdisk.img and drvnet.img on one USB flash drive so I don't have to
> utilize a separate driver disk?  Or is there a way to increase whatever
> size limit is on the image file so I can add all the modules I need to
the
> bootdisk.img then copy it to the USB flash drive?

This is really easy.  You can just use syslinux, and the initrd with
every module.

1)Format the usb stick drive as one big fat32 partition.*
2)copy everything in the cdrom's isolinux directory to the base
directory of the usb stick. (You don't need isolinux.bin, boot.cat, and
  TRANS.TBL)
3)rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg
4)Optional you may want to use the initrd-everthing out of the
images/pxe directory on the cdrom.
5)Install syslinux on the usb stick drive. syslinux /dev/(device).

* I find that mkdosfs doesn't like to format an entire device. So you
may need to do the following:
cat /dev/sd(whatever) >usb.stick
mkdosfs usb.stick
cat usb.stick > /dev/sd(whatever)

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.