Kickstart hang at "Installing Bootloader"

Hal Wine hal at reactivity.com
Thu Aug 12 17:57:05 UTC 2004

Peter Fales wrote, around 08/12/2004 07:10 AM:
> We've been using the RedHat 9 kickstart for a while.  Now, I'm trying to
> set up a kickstart of Fedora Core 2.   So far, I've tested it on two
> machines.   On the first machine (VMware Virtual PC) it works fine.  On
> the second machine (Dell Optiplex GX110), it mostly works, but it
> consistently stalls at the "Installing Bootloader" screen.   There
> are no obvious errors on any of the Alt-F screens, and if you hit
> "Enter" while it is sitting on that screen, the kickstart continues (but
> the bootloader is not installed).
>
> Any ideas on where to look next?

I had the same symptoms on another distro, and it turned out to be
caused by having already ejected the CD by the time the bootloader was
being written. (The VMWare CD is usually still readable at that point,
as it has a different notion of eject.)

When I move the point in time when I ejected the boot media to later, it
worked.

hth,
--Hal