rebuilding driver disk image with ext2 fs

James Harrison jamesaharrisonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 16:43:27 UTC 2004

I use this procedure to make a disk image with an ext2 partition
image then I write the disk image to the floppy.

As super user:
(NOTE change /build/disk & /mnt/floppy to suit your system)

1#> dd if=/dev/zero of=/build/disk bs=1k count=1440
2#> losetup /dev/loop0 /build/disk
3#> mkfs.ext2 /dev/loop0
4#> mount -o loop /build/disk /mnt/floppy/

/mnt/floppy is a ext2 disk image.

Put your files into /mnt/floppy then when finished:

5#> umount /mnt/floppy

Insert a blank floppy

6#> dd if=/build/disk of=/dev/fd0 bs=1k
7#> fsck.ext2 /dev/fd0

Explaination of above
1) Makes a file in blank file in /build/disk the size of a floppy
2) set up a loop device (man losetup for ref) for /build/disk
3) Build an ext2 file system into our /build/disk (via the loop0 device)
4) Mount the new file system to a directory. Files can be copied to
/mnt/floppy.
   Files are actually stored in the /build/disk file.
5) When all the files have been copied to the disk unmount file the file
system
6) Insert a diskette to make a diskette of /build/disk
7) Make sure the files on the diskette are not corrupted

James