Kickstart loading driver

Peter Eisch peter at boku.net
Wed Dec 8 20:21:54 UTC 2004

Ah, you're much newer.  It could just be the hwdata that needs to get
updated in your case.  I think I, last spring, did the mod_load's in the
ks.cfg but didn't find it to be as elegant as putting a mkinitrd preloading
my drivers into the kernel's %post (not kickstart -- in the rpm script).

If the driver is good with the kernel and all are on the cdrom, then you
probably only need to update the files in the isolinux/initrd.img with the
right pci controller information.

Oh, you can then ignore my script then too...

In this case it might be as easy as:

  gzip -d < isolinux/initrd.img > /tmp/initrd.img
  mkdir /tmp/initrd
  mount -o loop /tmp/initrd.img /tmp/initrd
  <fix up module-info, pcitable, modules.pcimap, modules.dep (if necessary)
  umount /tmp/initrd
  gzip -9 < /tmp/initrd.img > isolinux/initrd.img
  <burn the image>

I'm still stuck in 7.3 installers -- so much for "corporate standardization"
in my world.  I haven't tried this as I'm still in the dark ages but you
should be able to verify that your controller is mapped to a driver in these
files.  Use 'lspci' on the installed system to work out the right PCI info.

I will verify the results of my lspci agains newer hwdata rpms and then
update the entries accordingly.

peter