Working around dhcp for kickstart file on network?

Robinson, Andrew W. Andrew.W.Robinson at mms.gov
Tue Dec 7 14:50:26 UTC 2004

According to the Red Hat manual, when one specifies a kickstart file on the
server with either nfs or http, anaconda (?) initiates a dhcp query to get
the address of the client interface. Anyone know a way around this?

On my network segment, I do not have a dhcp server. I can specify the local
interface address with grub to get the installation kernel from the
kickstart server. I can specify the address again in the kickstart file to
tell anaconda where to get the installation files. However, it seems the
process wants the local address specified a third time if I put the
kickstart file on the kickstart server, and it insists on using dhcp to get
the address. Anyone know if there is a way at this point to specify a fixed
address for the local interface?

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson