Problem with network installation

Robinson, Andrew W. Andrew.W.Robinson at mms.gov
Tue Dec 7 23:34:03 UTC 2004

I ran into an odd problem with a network installation. I am hoping someone
can provide some insight.

I was starting the network installation from grub (as opposed to some form
of PXE). In the kickstart file, I specified NFS as the method to get the
installation files. The client booted into the installation kernel, which it
obtained from the same server with tftp. However, the kickstart stopped,
claiming it could not mount the repository directory. I tried using http,
but it claimed it could not find the directory. So next I booted into rescue
mode, using the same installation kernel from the network server. During its
process, it asks me how to get the OS files. I again specify NFS. It again
fails. I again fall back to http. This time it succeeds. Once the system is
booted into rescue mode, I tried NFS mounting the repository from the
kickstart server. This time the NFS mount succeeds. I'm perplexed.

I checked the spelling of the NFS server and directory in the kickstart
file. It is the same that I had used to successfully kickstart other
servers. (Copied from another kickstart file in fact.) I tried this process
a number of times and in different orders, so I don't think it is a case
that hitting the server the fourth time happened to be the charm. I'm still
perplexed.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on here?

Thanks.

Andrew Robinson