How to get kickstart to use existing logical volumes?

Chris Rouch crouch at pobox.com
Wed Dec 8 13:48:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:58:50 -0700
"Robinson, Andrew W." <Andrew.W.Robinson at mms.gov> wrote:

> I'm installing RHEL 3 EL on a server where I have already built the
> file systems. Some of the file systems are on physical volumes and
> some are on logical volumes. Apparently kickstart will not let me use
> the existing logical volumes, or I haven't figured out the syntax to
> do so. Will kickstart let me specify existing logical volumes? If so,
> how?

If you're using the same version of lvm, you can do it like this

part pv.01 --size=100 --grow --noformat --onpart=hda7
volgroup rootvg pv.01 --useexisting
logvol /          --fstype ext3 --name=root   --vgname=rootvg
       --size=10000 --useexisting
logvol /data      --fstype ext3 --name=data   --vgname=rootvg
       --size=40960 --useexisting --noformat

(the logvol stanzas should be on one line.)

This worked for me going from RedHat 9 to FC1 (lvm1). Going from lvm1
to lvm2 you have to reset everything and start again.

Regards,

Chris