dhcp tools?

Robinson, Andrew W. Andrew.W.Robinson at mms.gov
Thu Dec 9 20:42:19 UTC 2004

I'm building network kickstart servers and I find myself in circumstances
where I don't really know what is going on with dhcp servers in my building.
Is there a dhcp server available? Is one being relayed onto the subnet of
interest? What is the address of the dhcp server? I've noticed that when I
run dhclient at the command line, it describes the conversation between it
and the dhcp server. However, it seems I can only run dhclient when I want
to configure an actual interface. Reading the dhclient man page, I thought
the -n option would give me what I want. But when I run "dhclient -n",
nothing seems to happen.

So my question is this. Is there a tool that will contact and negotiate with
a dhcp server, show me the conversation, but not affect any physical
interfaces?

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson