strategies for changing boot order

Dave Mack dmack at leviatron.com
Wed Dec 22 19:41:21 UTC 2004

Alan Horn wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I know that some of this is going to be fairly hardware specific, but what
>strategies do folks use for flipping boot order back to the primary
>ide/scsi system disk after doing a pxeboot install ?
>
>The way I do it right now is :
>
> o Initially enable pxeboot in the bios (if not set)
> o Reboot box, go back into bios, set boot order to NIC pxeboot before HDD
> o Unattended kickstart install
> o Catch install after final reboot and jump into bios to reset boot
>   order.
>
>Obviously I'd like to do away with the last step to make it truly
>unattended after the setup phase.

I'm new to this list, but why worry about changing the BIOS back? You
can edit the defaults file in your pxelinux.cfg directory and set the
default boot to be the localdisk:

default local
timeout 300
label local
    localboot 0

label rhel4as
    kernel rhel4as/vmlinuz
    append initrd=rhel4as/initrd.img
ks=nfs:192.168.0.2:/export/ksfiles/rhel4as-ks.cfg

Now, if your machine reboots, it will automatically boot from the local
disk after a 30 second delay.

You should add a "local" option to your pxeboot.msg file to allow
someone at the console know they don't have to wait for the system to
timeout to boot locally.

Dave