strategies for changing boot order

John Monaco xjmonaco at ti.com
Wed Dec 22 19:53:23 UTC 2004

Alan,

     After our systems are built, the secondary NIC is connected to a
private network, which doesn't have a PXE-Boot server on it. The private
network is between master and slave pairs, and sometimes it includes
various third-party servers too. The master and slave systems each have
static IP addresses, and neither system is serving as a PXE-Boot or DHCP
  server; so the queries during the boot process for a PXE-Boot server
go unanswered.

     Our primary NIC is connected to the corporate network, and is
unconcerned about PXE-Boot and DHCP servers that might be present there.

     This configuration gives us the option to simply connect the
secondary NIC to a local subnet with a KickStart server, and PXE-Boot
off of it to rebuild the system if we needed to. We've never actually
needed to take advantage of that feature, but it is nice to have.

     When we do need to rebuild systems, we actually use a USB DVD-ROM
drive, with a customized bootable CD-ROM image, that uses the current
KickStart script on our production KickStart server. This method is
handy if your subnets support DHCP, using:

boot: linux ks=nfs:<server>:/<path>

     Since we've been doing this for nearly three years now, with
various Red Hat releases, I could go on and on about all of the
possibilities.

         Sincerely,

         John S. Monaco

         System Administrator & "Linux Dude"
         TI WW MAKE IT
         Infrastructure System Engineering and Administration
         E-mail: xjmonaco at ti.com
         Phone:  (214) 567-5831