Package Selection Question

Mac McClellan mmcclell at nuskin.com
Fri Feb 27 22:12:57 UTC 2004

The RedHat Customization Guide for RedHat 9.0 says the following:

<snip>
You can also specify which packages not to install from the default
package list:

@ Games and Entertainment
-kdegames
<snip>

I read that as: "If you want to NOT install a package then put a '-' in
front of it and it will not install.

I want to NOT install a bunch of packages that are not needed on my
system.
The appropriate section of my ks.cfg file looks like this:

%packages --resolvedeps
@ dns-server
@ compat-arch-support
kernel
grub
ntp
-apmd
-ash
-aspell-da
-aspell-de
-aspell-en-ca
-aspell-en-gb
-aspell-es
<snip - a whole bunch more - snip>

For some reason the installer installs everything anyway.

I'm working with RedHat Enterprise Linux ES.  The documentation for
Kickstart on Enterprise does not seem to exist, but I'm assuming that
the RedHat 9.0 is virtually the same.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Mac McClellan