How to skip question "what eth to use?"

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun Feb 29 13:46:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 bdoctor at ps-ax.com wrote:

> I don't believe you can do what you want to do in this manner.  However,
> you can modify the file network.py on line 155 (or so) to read this:
>
>             if dev != "lo" and dev == "eth0" and not self.netdevices.has_key(dev):
>
> And that will accomplish what you want.  You will need to rebuild the stage2
> installer image and replace the stock one with this change.  Not elegant or
> anything, but highly effective.

You are making this too hard. As I replied previously this can easially be
done without modifying the src. Depending on the vedrsion of RHL you are
talking about there are a couple of options. The first option is to specify
ksdevice=eth0 on the kernel boot line. AFAIK this works from 7.x on up to the
present. If we are talking about RHL9, RHEL3 or fedora is to use ksdevice=link.
Both work. No src modifications necessary.

HTH,

Tom