Setting statis IP address from DHCP result

coutch rhlists at coutch.com
Mon Jul 12 18:13:43 UTC 2004

I want to install many systems using the same kickstart file, but they need to
be setup with static IP addresses.

The install is performed using PXE/DHCP.  In production, the systems will
have statically assigned IP addresses, which will be the same as the one given
by the DHCP server during installation.   Since I want to use a single
kickstart file, I can't hardcode the IP address ...

I was thinking about having a %pre script that checks the IP address it got from
the DHCP server, and creates a temporary file like /tmp/network-config.inc , and
use this to set the parameters for the "network" option of kickstart by doing:
%include /tmp/network-config.inc

Does anybody have a better suggestion (other than the obvious of running the
production environment with DHCP, which is not an option) ?

Thanks

--Coutch