Issue with Aquiring DHCP

Joe Robertson jrobertson at convera.com
Mon Jun 7 21:07:16 UTC 2004

Andy,

What kind of ethernet NIC do you have? (e1000 driver?)

I've been fighting this problem for quite some time - trying
to get kickstart via NFS to work.

I finally found a solution!!!!

It requires changing anaconda and rebuilding the entire
distribution.  I'll be reporting on this as soon as I
am confident in the accuracy of the method.

Basically it requires checking for failures in such things
as attempting an NFS mount (or in your example getting
a DHCP lease) and trying again (perhaps multiple times) if
the initial attempts fail.

Granted, this seems like a patch but I'm not sure what the
'correct' solution should be.  It does seem that this is
going to work for me - at least to get kickstart going.

Having said that, there are still failures obtaining the
IP address via PXE during boots subsequent to the install.
I haven't determined what to do to resolve this yet.

Thanks,
Joe