Need help with PXE/NFS install

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Sat Jun 19 11:13:11 UTC 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Mike Cotton wrote:

>I need some assistance with finishing a PXE NFS install.  I have
>reviewed the archives and the information there has helped me to get
>this far.

SQ1 [Standard Question #1]:
Which version of Redhat/Fedora/Anaconda?

>Here is the part I am stuck on - whenever I try to add kickstart
>information into the hex file (ksdevice=eth0 ks=nfs:/{fileserver
>IP}/path to the ks file), the vmlinuz and initrd.img file are found and
>the initial install begins.  As the install is checking for hardware it
>kernel panics with a VFS error when attempting to locate the hard
>drive.  It seems that the megaraid driver we need is not getting
>installed, and it gacks at that point.

The megaraid support in the installation kernel has evolved over
the last few distros; this page has a good summary:

http://linux.dell.com/storage.shtml#megaraid

>To be clear - the nfs portion is operational and will lead to an
>interactive install, but when the kickstart information for an
>unattended installation, the install kernel panics with a VFS error.

I might be wrong then - either the driver support is there, or it isn't.
Kickstart oughtn't make any difference. You're using
initrd-everything.img, aka pxeboot/initrd.img in recent releases, right?

Cheers,
Phil