genhdlist problems solved under RHEL3 -- buildIso script enclosed(sorry, long)

Martin Robb MartinRobb at ieee.org
Wed Jun 2 13:17:57 UTC 2004

Cliff,

Are you getting a mountable iso image that is just not bootable?  Or is it corrupt altogether?

Are you building the iso image under RHEL3 or FC2?

The iso images are working for me under both RHEL3 and FC2, with HP Proliants and ASUS towers as the target systems.  I have occasionally had problems in the past burning CDs that mount but don't boot, and got around the problem by switching from a generic CD to a name brand.  Sounds weird, but it was quite consistent and reproducible.

Beyond that, you might look at the mkisofs man page and try tinkering with the arguments.  If you've had success in the past burning bootable CDs for your platform, try comparing the arguments with the mkisofs arguments I'm using in the script.

Finally, FWIW, I'm using the following command line under FC2 to burn the cd:
   sudo cdrecord dev=/dev/cdrom driveropts=burnfree -v ${ISO_NAME}

Hope that helps.

Marty