RH9 and missing proper e1000 network drivers

GRIGG, Stuart stuart.grigg at baesystems.com
Fri Jun 4 06:47:02 UTC 2004

I believe the driver will need to go into the initrd.img file (which for the
CD boot is inside a file called cdboot.img).

The page you have select has shown you how to add and upgrade your BOOT
kernel, but I assume you only want to add a driver.
The procedure would be (being that I am a bit fuzzy as I have not done it in
a while on this but it should give you an idea on what to google)

Install you BOOT kernel source
set IS_BOOT_UP 0 and USE_BOOT 1 the /boot/kernel.h
compile the drivers for the e1000
grab initrd.img from inside cdboot.img
unzip and mount initrd
add the compiles e1000.o to modules.cgz
add the driver info to pcitable and module-info
umount initrd and recompress.
Set /boot/kernel.h back to normal
Remove the BOOT kernel source
Burn a new CD using the new cdboot.img and all should work.