RHEL3 NFS based kickstart dies with 'install exited abnormally -- received signal 11'

Oktay Altunergil oktay at altunergil.org
Fri Mar 19 20:20:16 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am having a problem with kickstarting using NFS on Enterprise 3.0
(update 1). I will try to describe the problem in detail.

Our setup uses NFS for both the kickstart config file and the rpm
packages. We have /usr/local/export exported with ro,no_root_squash.
This directory contains the directories 'config' and 'redhat'. Our
kickstart configuration is in config/ks.cfg. Inside the redhat directory
we have everything in the binary CDs copied so it looks like
/usr/local/export/redhat/RedHat.

What's happening is, everything is working fine and the ks.cfg file is
being loaded without a problem. This is an indication that there's
nothing wrong with mounting NFS since it's the same export as the
'redhat' directory. After this when it comes to mounting the rpms
directory, i see in the logs that it's trying to NFS mount the correct
IP and correct exported directory. Before this has a chance to complete
though, I'm getting 'installed exited abnormally -- received signal 11'
on the main install screen.  Interestingly, after the signal 11, the box
keeps requesting authentication to mount the redhat directory for a few
more minutes as seen on the server logs.

I've done a few things to rule out certain possibilities. First of all,
we tried to do a CD install, getting the packages from NFS using the
same directory. This works without a problem. If we switch from NFS to
FTP or HTTP during kickstart this works fine too so there is no problem
with permissions or the way the directories are structured. While doing
a kickstart install via HTTP/FTP I can also mount and access the redhat
directory manually when the shell comes up on tty2.

I would appreciate any help on this. I am including some relevant config
information below.

Thank you.

Oktay Altunergil

Here's what our exports file looks like:
/usr/local/export 10.2.2.0/255.255.255.0(ro,no_root_squash)

And the directory structure:

[root at RHESkickstart redhat]# pwd
/usr/local/export/redhat
[root at RHESkickstart redhat]# ls
RedHat
[root at RHESkickstart redhat]#

And finally the ks.cfg file:

#Generated by Kickstart Configurator
lang en_US
langsupport en_US
keyboard us
mouse none
skipx
network --device=eth1 --bootproto=dhcp
rootpw --iscrypted $1$OXVsBg$2oB3379kaAWGzLCHGm7xJ.
timezone --utc America/New_York
#reboot
text
install
nfs --server=10.2.2.1 --dir=/usr/local/export/redhat
#url --url http://10.2.2.1/redhat
## the above works. but we need NFS
# I know this isn't a scsi module, but I'm cheating
#device scsi ext3
bootloader
clearpart --all --initlabel
part / --fstype ext3 --size 1 --grow --ondisk sda
part  swap --size 1024 --ondisk sda
auth  --useshadow  --enablemd5
firewall --disabled
#Do not configure the X Window System
skipx
%packages
@Base
@Mail Server
@Text-based Internet
#@SQL Database Server
@Web Server
@DNS Name Server
@Editors
@Emacs
@Development Tools
@Legacy Software Development
@Kernel Development
#@Unix Ops

%post
# add admin user
/usr/sbin/useradd admin
chfn -f 'Admin user' admin
/usr/sbin/usermod -p '$1$OXVsBg$2oB3379kaAWGzLCHGm7xJ.' admin
# copy over the config
/etc/init.d/portmap start
mount 10.2.2.1:/usr/local/export /mnt/
cp /mnt/config/network /etc/sysconfig/network
cp /mnt/config/ifcfg-* /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
cp /mnt/config/resolv.conf /etc/
cp /mnt/config/hosts /etc/
echo "Protocol 2" >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config
echo "41 */6 * * * /usr/sbin/ntpdate -s ntp.datapipe.net" >> /etc/crontab
echo "SV:123456:respawn:/command/svscanboot" >>/etc/inittab
# remove things that I don't want started up
chkconfig --del nfslock
chkconfig --del portmap
chkconfig --del autofs
chkconfig --del rhnsd