Package Selection Question

Mac McClellan mmcclell at nuskin.com
Tue Mar 2 16:59:55 UTC 2004

Ok, that explains a lot.  I guess what I'll do is create a post install
script to un-install the packages after the fact unless you can think of
any reason not to.

Thanks!

Mac

>>> brilong at cisco.com 3/1/2004 6:42:01 AM >>>
Mac,

In our environment, we've always used %packages --ignoredeps since we
want to specify each and every package (no automatic dep resolution).
This has worked up until RHEL.  We would tune our package set as
needed.  We then login to a box and run "rpm -Va --nofiles" and look
for
broken dependencies (and fix them).

RHEL 3 broke the --ignoredeps flag and we've been escalating this for
few weeks now.  Someone decided --ignoredeps should no longer be
implemented  :-(  but it's still in the documentation.  We require
this
to properly load DMZ images, etc.  Sometimes we want a package
installed
even it it relies on a package we don't want installed.

For some reason, mozilla gets installed as a "webclient" even though
"elinks" also provides "webclient".  We don't want mozilla on our DMZ
image, but it gets pulled in anyways.  Gotta love "enterprise" linux
:-|

/Brian/

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 17:12, Mac McClellan wrote:
> The RedHat Customization Guide for RedHat 9.0 says the following:
>
> <snip>
> You can also specify which packages not to install from the default
> package list:
>
> @ Games and Entertainment
> -kdegames
> <snip>
>

> I read that as: "If you want to NOT install a package then put a '-'
in
> front of it and it will not install.
>
> I want to NOT install a bunch of packages that are not needed on my
> system.
> The appropriate section of my ks.cfg file looks like this:
>
> %packages --resolvedeps
> @ dns-server
> @ compat-arch-support
> kernel
> grub
> ntp
> -apmd
> -ash
> -aspell-da
> -aspell-de
> -aspell-en-ca
> -aspell-en-gb
> -aspell-es
> <snip - a whole bunch more - snip>
>

> For some reason the installer installs everything anyway.
>
> I'm working with RedHat Enterprise Linux ES.  The documentation for
> Kickstart on Enterprise does not seem to exist, but I'm assuming
that
> the RedHat 9.0 is virtually the same.
>
> Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks!
>

> Mac McClellan
> Sr. Network Engineer
> Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc.
> 75 West Center Street
> Provo, Utah 84601
> 801-437-7295

       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       Americas IT Hosting Sys Admin   |       .|||.       .|||.
       Cisco Linux Developer           |   ..:|||||||:...:|||||||:..
       Phone: (919) 392-7363           |   C i s c o   S y s t e m s