On p615, noninteractive network installation is blocked because DHCP cannot be configured successfully

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Fri Mar 19 11:19:57 UTC 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Wang Nan Chen wrote:

>There is no DHCPREQUEST & DHCPACK in /var/log/messages. It seems that
>DHCPOFFER is not received or DHCPREQUEST is not sent out by anaconda.
>
>My question is:
>1) Is there any option or kernel parameter I can longthen dhcp timeout?
>   (some option like dhcptimeout for SuSE)
>2) How can I work it around?(e.g. have anaconada imitate pressing "OK")
>3) Does anybody run into such a situation before? How did you solve it?
>   (For me, this ONLY occurs on p615.)

It would be useful to see the logs from the DHCP client's perspective.
On an Intel PC, these would be found on the other virtual consoles,
accessible through Alt+F2, Alt+F3 etc. I don't know what manner of
computer a p615 is though...

First question back; do you use a network switch with the spanning tree
protocol enabled? This can cause problems for kickstart, and should
probably be disabled for non switch<->switch ports where possible.

Cheers,
Phil