ks.cfg & RedHat tree

Fred Leeflang f.leeflang at hva.nl
Mon Mar 29 17:09:09 UTC 2004

Philip Rowlands wrote:

> The filename and next-server settings are usually used for PXE - the
> location of the kickstart file is passed on the command line by the boot
> loader (PXELINUX, ISOLINUX etc.)

I thought about using PXELINUX or something like that. Most of our
more modern servers support that in BIOS and it seems like an elegant
solution. I see one drawback though:

- The pxelinux image MUST sit on the DHCP server so it can be tftp'ed.

Not a big issue I guess. How would you go about passing the
location of the PXELINUX image? Is it possible to set those
arguments in the filename "" setting in DHCP?

>>- what is the minimum contents of the ks.cfg that tells it
>>  where to find /redhat/ES3.0 ?
>

> nfs --server nfsserver.example.com --dir /redhat/ES3.0 [/RedHat/{base,RPMS}]

Gracias, this was the (rather important) thing missing.
Oddly enough, the kickstart GUI thingie that I also tried
puts '=' signs in there instead of spaces and this appeared
to cause a problem.

Lots of questions still... I read somewhere that it's not
just possible to copy updated RPMS in the Redhat/ dir and
expect them to be installed with the next kickstart. There's
also no way I guess to specify the versions of RPMS to be
installed so we could make a repository of some sort which
keeps track of which RPMS/versions are installed on a server
at any time. I read some about kickstart-utils which seems
worth investigating, but are there any of you out there
who use any such tools that, for example, scan a system
and automatically maintain a ks.cfg?