dhcp okay, but no http

seph seph at directionless.org
Wed Mar 31 21:45:29 UTC 2004

I'm having a very weird kickstart problem. I'm hoping someone here has
either seen it, or can help.

I have a small pile of machines. Some Dell Dimension 4600s and some
Dell Precision 450s. since these machines need to be consistent, and
will be re-installed frequently, kickstart is the obvious choice.

I created simple kickstart cds for fedora and AS. pretty much by just
tasking the isolinux directory, and adding some appends. (ks
ks=http://192.168.0.142/kickstart/kickstart.pl?os=fedora ksdevice=et0)
My kickstart.pl script spits back a very basic config file. the RPMs
are served off the same server.

Both my fedora and my enterprise kickstart cds work fine on the
dimensions. I put in the cd, and it goes. However, I'm having a lot of
trouble with the precisions.

They boot, they get dhcp, but they always fail to get the config
file. If I run things through a hub, I see the dhcp traffic, but the
machine never even sends an http request.

Playing around a bit more, I seem to only have trouble with the
precisions when plugged into netgear hubs or switches. Even with
network cards that work in the dimensions on the same switches.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

seph