ks config managers

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Mar 31 22:53:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 08:41, Chris Geddings wrote:
> What projects are out there for building kickstart files and maintaining
> them over time?
>
> The problem I'm looking to address involves the maintenance of a large
> number of kickstart configurations over time.  What is in my head right
> now is a system that has a series of configurations, each configuration
> can have parts that are sort of stubs or templates that may be shared
> between multiple configurations.  Updating one of the stubs causes an
> update in all relevant configurations.

Something we setup here in physics is fairly simple.

it has two config files
one matches a host or a host-wildcard to 'profile'
the other is a list of file stubs to be concatenated together to form
the profile.

it runs as a cgi so when our systems boot they ask for:
http://myserver/cgi-bin/ks.cgi

and it hand back to them the file stubs concatenated together that form
the kickstart for the profile corresponding to their hostname.

I should post that somewhere - it's probably 100 lines of python - not
much, really.

-sv