NFS kickstart fails with e1000.ko drivers

Joe Robertson jrobertson at convera.com
Wed May 19 03:20:10 UTC 2004

Well, my hopes were dashed today.  I just installed the Final version of
Fedora Core 2 and it does not address the issue related to the e1000.ko
drivers.  I still get the nfs (or http) failed message the first time
anaconda attempts to access the network to get the ks file.

I have now added yet another switch to the list of switches that do not
work in this environment (Extreme Networks Summit 400-48t).  Perhaps
someone can suggest a change to the switch - someone previously
mentioned enabling 'fast port' but I have not seen anything like that in
the switch documentation.

The switch settings are all default and I have verified that Spanning
Tree (SMP) is disabled as is the Ethernet Automatic Protection Switching
(EAPS).

I connected to a netgear FS108 (cheap 100 Mb unmanaged switch) and
kickstart via PXE / NFS works just fine.  Replace that switch with the
Extreme Networks Switch and it fails when it tries to access the ks
file.

The version of anaconda in this is 10.0-5 which is later than the
version in the recent updates to Redhat Enterprise versions.  Apparently
those fixes either didn't get into this or simply don't fix the problem.

Joe