Updated RPMS.

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Sat May 29 15:26:33 UTC 2004

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Martin Rheumer wrote:

>My dilema is simple.

<PEDANT MODE>
A dilemma is a choice between [two] alternatives. This isn't one.
</PM>

>I want to add things like the new kernel and perl packages from a
>redhat update ( Redhat network subscribed ) to the original list of
>files in my http /Redhat/RPMS directory and get my fully functional
>kickstart routines to install them.
>
>1. Is this possible ?

Sure.

>2. Has anyone got a how to handy. ?

Depends which media you install from. At a high level:

1. Replace old packages with new in RedHat/RPMS directory
2. Run genhdlist (from anaconda-runtime package) to rebuild file in
RedHat/base

(BTW, genhdlist is not statically linked any more - anyone know why?)

HTTP/NFS is easier than rebuilding CDs.

>3. Is this the right list to ask on ?

The above is not the only way - anaconda now supports an "Updates"
directory, which was used for RHEL3U1 but not RHEL3U2. Another reply
suggests doing the updates in a %post, but that has time and storage
implications for the install. I prefer to pre-patch.

If you've got a RHEL3 subscription, be sure to download Update 2, which
fixes a few issues in the installer.

Cheers,
Phil