NFS kickstart fails with e1000.ko drivers

Joe Cooper joe at swelltech.com
Fri May 7 21:13:42 UTC 2004

Joe Robertson wrote:
> I believe this is probably an anaconda problem but since it only shows
> up when I'm trying
> to do kickstart I will send it here.
>
> Question:
> Has anyone has been successful in running kickstart via NFS through an
> Intel 82546EB network interface?
>
> I'm fighting a problem getting kickstart to run with these NICs (using
> NFS).
> It appears to be related to the NIC in use.

I think I ran into the same issue with a new MSI 1U system.  I tried to
follow some documentation I found on this list and at the below link for
adding a new driver to the boot kernel (which I tested successfully on
an already installed machine--so the driver works), and adding the ID
0x1075 and 0x1076 for the cards in my machine to the pcitable in the
kickstart image, but the install still fails when trying to load the
network drivers.  I found someone else who had removed the e100 driver
and that solved a similar problem, so I tried that, and it also failed.

I'd be pleased as punch if someone would tell me what I missed in my
modifications of the kickstart initrd image, that would make this
work...Even a simple list of files that must be changed when adding a
new or modified driver to the kickstart image (so I could spot the one I
didn't change) would be exceedingly useful.

Some links that were helpful (but didn't result in a working solution):

http://blog.oddbit.com/tech/new_install_kernel.html
http://www.puschitz.com/Kickstart.shtml

An additional data point, a Fedora Core 2 test2 PXE image worked up
until the point where it complains about the boot image not matching the
installation directory.  So the kernel in fc2t2 works fine, but it won't
let me install fc1.