NFS kickstart fails with e1000.ko drivers

ccollier at viawest.net ccollier at viawest.net
Fri May 7 21:51:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Joe Cooper wrote:
> Joe Robertson wrote:
--snip--
> I'd be pleased as punch if someone would tell me what I missed in my
> modifications of the kickstart initrd image, that would make this
> work...Even a simple list of files that must be changed when adding a
> new or modified driver to the kickstart image (so I could spot the one I
> didn't change) would be exceedingly useful.
--snip--

I struggled with some similar issues with the e1000 and rh 7.3.
Typically, for module insertion into the ramdisk you have to edit these
three files found inside the ramdisk:

/modules/pci-table
(needs the appropriate hardware identification lines)

/modules/module-info
(needs an entry for e1000)

/modules/modules.cgz
(in here of course is another set of paths, and you need to insert the
compiled e1000.o file in the appropriate path for your kernel version)

I ran into some interesting situations where the installation still did
not properly identify the device without user intervention.  It's also
important that the driver is compiled against the correct kernel/source.
Note that the installation images use red hat's special boot kernel.
Sometimes you can get away with just getting this step "close" but not
always.

hope this helps a little.

cody