NFS kickstart fails with e1000.ko drivers

lccha-rhlist at naos.org lccha-rhlist at naos.org
Sun May 9 01:58:50 UTC 2004

Once upon a time (like on May 07, 2004), Joe Robertson wrote:
> > I too struggled with e1000 vs RH 7.3 in the past, and had
> > similar symptoms to what Joe described.  I found it easier to
> > compile support for the e1000 into a new kernel image and use
> > that for kickstart instead of trying to add the e1000 module
> > into the ramdisk.

> I'm using Fedora Core 2 test 3 and the e1000 driver is already
> included in the ramdisk - /modules/modules.cgz
>
> I'm not familiar with compiling the kernel image.  I assume
> that if it is in the ramdisk, then it probably isn't
> compiled into the kernel in the distribution?
>
> Joe

Yes, that's probably true.  It could still be compiled into the
kernel, but it's not likely that they would bother including the
module as well in that case.

The question is, what version of the e1000 driver is already included
in the ramdisk?  Our experience has been that we needed the very
latest e1000 driver to get our newer e1000 cards to work.

-L