Fatal Error (was: Newbie Needs Help with Kickstart Fedora Installations)

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Fri May 21 17:02:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004, Gary Ford wrote:

>When the installation fails, anaconda presents a dialog box containing:
>
>"There was an error installing at-3.1.18-52. This can indicate media
>failure, lack of disk space, and/or hardware problems. This is a fatal
>error and your install will be aborted. Please verify your media and
>try your install again."
>
>The last few lines on the F3 console are:
>
>* moving (1) to step installpackages
>* setting file_context_path to nil
>* Initial install time estimate = 21.xxxxxxx
>
>The F4 console shows a huge number of messages that begin with:
>
><3> audit(...): avc: denied {XXX} ...

SElinux is spoiling your day :(

>However, if I then (as root) try to install the at-3.1.18-52 package, I
>get well over 1000 lines of messages; here are some examples:
>
>/etc/security/selinux/file_contexts:  invalid context
>system_u:object_r:smbd_var_run_t on line number 1535

I'd not hesitate to recommend FC2 in this case. SElinux is still
present, but disabled by default (probably due to too many problems such
as this).

>I hope to solve this problem without getting the new Fedora Core iso
>images, because I live in an area with only two choices for Internet
>access: dialup at roughly 9600 baud, or two-way satellite connection
>with severe limitations on bandwidth once a download exceeds 150 MB.
>Each iso image requires >40 hours to download.

Hmm; I don't know where you are in the world, but this UK-based company
sells cheap CD images of popular distros (Fedora Core included, but not
FC2 final as of right now it appears). Slow downloads aren't something
this list can help with much, I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Phil