Fatal Error (was: Newbie Needs Help with Kickstart Fedora Installations)

Gary Ford throwaway5549 at earthlink.net
Sat May 22 01:24:35 UTC 2004

This is slightly off-topic; apologies in advance.

Kelly Brown noted my Internet connectivity limitations and said:
"A suggestion for the download speeds, download bittorrent and use
that..."

My understanding is that BitTorrent addresses the slow server issue,
not the limitations imposed by my satellite connection (provided by
Earthlink as a VAR of DirecWay). Although I can get burst download
speeds of 200 to 300 kilobytes/second, my upload speed is always about
1 to 2 kilobytes/second. That reduces my suitability as a BitTorrent
host.

Philip Rowlands also noted my connectivity limitations and that he
didn't know where I was located. I'm in rural Colorado (United States).
Sometimes it is good for us in the open-source software community to
remember that grass-roots efforts to adopt Linux need to reach all
kinds of users in all kinds of locales. I live in an area where there
is no DSL, no cable TV and hence no cable modems, and 40 miles of
copper wire between my telephone and the ISP point of presence. It is
about seven miles from my house to the nearest paved road. Most of the
county I live in did not get telephone service until 1994 (yes, one
nine nine four). Many rural areas of the United States have similar
limitations; think what it must be like in the developing nations.

Now a technical question...

I'm trying to run Fedora Core 2 test 3 after a kickstart installation.
I had assumed that SELinux was disabled by default. When I install, I
get messages like:

<3> audit(...): avc: denied {XXX} ...
where "XXX" is "gettattr" or "use" or "write" or "search " or several
others.

When I run rpm to install additional packages, I get thousands of error
messages like:

/etc/security/selinux/file_contexts:  invalid context
system_u:object_r:samba_spool_t on line number 1537

In either case, is this evidence that SELinux is enabled and is doing
strange things?  How do I guarantee that SELinux is not enabled when
doing a kickstart installation. Thanks.

Gary Ford
Plaid Flannel Software