Fatal Error (was: Newbie Needs Help with Kickstart Fedora Installations)

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Sun May 23 01:02:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004, Gary Ford wrote:

>I'm trying to run Fedora Core 2 test 3 after a kickstart installation.
>I had assumed that SELinux was disabled by default.

The release notes agree with you.
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/1.92/i386/os/RELEASE-NOTES-en.html

> When I install, I get messages like:
>
><3> audit(...): avc: denied {XXX} ...
>where "XXX" is "gettattr" or "use" or "write" or "search " or several
>others.
>
>When I run rpm to install additional packages, I get thousands of error
>messages like:
>
>/etc/security/selinux/file_contexts:  invalid context
>system_u:object_r:samba_spool_t on line number 1537
>
>In either case, is this evidence that SELinux is enabled and is doing
>strange things?

Prima facie, I'd say. Odd...

>How do I guarantee that SELinux is not enabled when doing a kickstart
>installation.

selinux is active from boot-time onwards, so to disable it you'd need to
use boot-time arguments.

Hopefully section 1.2 of the FAQ contains sufficient detail:
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/fedora-docs/selinux-faq-en/

Cheers,
Phil